You can make yourself get up in the morning and get ready for work, you can make yourself show up to class, you can make yourself workout, but you can't make yourself relax.
You have to let yourself relax...
The good news is: we're all going to die
The bad news is: you're probably killing yourself because you don't know how to deal with the stress in your life!
THE BASE OF PYRAMID OF EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT STRESS REDUCTION/RELAXATION IS ALREADY INSIDE OF YOU
1st : You compose all of the bio chemicals needed to relax. You're not lacking the ability to relax- you're blocking your ability to relax.
2nd: This has to do with the belief system. The thing you have to believe is the truth: It's not what happens around you, it's what's happening inside of you...you react to situations.
3rd: How you react to something dictates your stress levels.
-It's not the speech, it's not the interview, it's not the plane and it's not the task making you nervous. It's you. You can't control everything that happens to you, but you can control your reaction.
4th: E+R=O The event plus your response equals the outcome. You're not just a stimulus organism and it's not just the stimulus. It's how you respond to the stimulus-that makes the difference.
5th: You chose to get nervous in the past, you can now choose to train yourself to be relaxed in certain situations.
It's not only the techniques...it's the way your Nervous System works. Our bodies are designed to relax. Relaxation is effortless, but we get in the way. The techniques I am going to share with you work, if you choose to practice them. I learned these techniques from Doctor Gilbert, a Yogi Relaxation and Reduction Expert and Sports Psychologist.
Try to get in a relaxed place. For the next couple of minutes, listen to your heart beat, shut off the world. All you have to remember is 5,4,3,2,1...
5) Relax all the muscles from the tip of your toes, to your knees. Relax your toes, ankles, calves, knees.
4) Relax all the muscles from your knees to your waist. Relax your knees, thighs, hips, waist. Right now your legs may feel heavier, lighter, cooler, warmer, or tingly, or nothing. Pick one, make believe they feel that way.
3) Relax your trunk, lower back, stomach, rib cage, chest.
2) Relax your arms, shoulders, elbows, and wrists from your fingers.
1) Relax the muscles in your neck, head, chin, cheek, forehead, nose and ears.
Of course, it's more difficult to focus on the relaxation of your muscles while reading this so try your best to remember the order and practice these steps without reading.
Practice a few times today...5,4,3,2,1